HYDRAULIC MODEL STUDIES IN COASTAL ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
Dr H. B. Jagadeesh
Scientist, CWPRS, Pune
NATIONAL WEBINAR ORGANISED BY
JSSATE , ACCE(I), BENGALURU CENTRE & RAMCO CEMENTS
DATE: 4TH JULY 2020
Service Through Research
CENTRAL WATER AND POWER RESEARCH STATION, PUNE
Important for human population and natural environment :
• 60% of the world human population lives less then 60 km away from a coast
• 2/3rd of the cities are close to an estuarine / coastal area
• 75% of the fish species are dependent of coastal areas.
• Sea Transport,Power plants,industries
Importance of Coastal Engineering
• Coastal Engineering deals with the coastal processes in the near-shore zone.
• The coastal engineer must ensure that projects in these regions assimilate to the influence of prevailing wind, waves, tides, currents and sediment movements and optimize the consequent adverse and beneficial effects.